Caroline Powers earns 6th Big Ten Golfer of the Week honor of career

Caroline Powers was named the Big Ten Women’s Golfer of the Week Wednesday for the sixth time in her career.

Already holding the title of the most Big Ten Golfer of the Week awards in MSU history, the education senior also is tied for second in conference history — just one award away from the No. 1 spot.

Women’s golf Head Coach Stacy Slobodnik-Stoll said Powers’ talent is on another level.

“It’s a great honor, she’s one of the greatest Big Ten athletes of all time,” she said. “It shows her talents are greater than just this.”

Slobodnik-Stoll describes Powers’ game as solid, consistent and steady.

“Shes’s smart and has been a really solid player since she got to Michigan State,” she said.

Powers, who had just returned from playing in Florida and Los Angeles, was excited to hear the news.

“It’s a really nice honor to receive,” she said. “It’s been really encouraging.”

Although both Powers and Slobodnik-Stoll are happy with the honor, neither are planning on basking in its glory for too long.

“It’s cool to receive it but, more than anything, it means I’m doing the right things along the way,” Powers said. “There’s always things to work on but (I’ve) got to keep moving forward and think about the next tournament.”

As her season winds down, Powers prepares for graduation and her career as a professional golfer. But one thing she said she’ll miss are her fellow Spartans.

“I just love being a part of this team. I’m in no rush to leave,” she said.

While Powers said she doesn’t want things to wind down too quickly, there is one thing she’s excited about.

“I’m looking forward to not doing homework anymore,” Powers said. “It’s my number one job to be on the golf course so I’m really looking forward to being fully immersed in my game.”

As her collegiate-golf career comes to a close and she prepares for the LPGA Tour, Powers will leave with the honor of being one of the best golfers in MSU’s history.

“She’s one of the best players in the nation,” said Slobodnik-Stoll “She’s just doing what she loves to do.”

The Women’s golf team will play against Duke, North Carolina and others at the Bryan National Collegiate on Friday, Mar. 29 in Brown Summit, N.C. The event is scheduled to last all day.

Share and discuss “Caroline Powers earns 6th Big Ten Golfer of the Week honor of career” on social media.