Anna Flory known for passion for life, positivity

<p>Flory</p>

Flory

While advertising sophomore Courtney Hughes and her fellow roommates donned dresses for Halloween, her new friend and roommate Anna Flory ran around their Bailey Street home dressed as the Lion King’s “Rafiki” — stick and all.

“She just liked to be her own person,” Hughes said. “She just always taught me to live life to the fullest each day.”

Flory’s life philosophy is somewhat of a comfort to friends and family such as Hughes, since Flory, a geological sciences sophomore, was found dead in her Bailey Street home Saturday.

Although the cause of death has not been determined, police have stated foul play is not suspected in her passing, and her parents have said an autopsy showed she had an enlarged heart. Flory leaves behind her mother, father and two sisters.

“It breaks my heart, but I know she’s probably better off than me,” said her father, Brian Flory. He and his wife, Nancy Flory, said their daughter was a devout Catholic and they don’t worry about her, but will miss her terribly.

Brian Flory said his daughter would liven up any room. Even on his bad days, he could count on her to cheer him up even with a simple text message.

Finance sophomore Aaron Hendricks, a lifelong friend, said it’s a hard pill to swallow knowing he won’t have the chance to see Anna Flory’s smile again — something he considered her best quality.

“She really always would have a smile on her face,” Hendricks said. “She was someone who genuinely loved life and lived it to the fullest. … She really could brighten your day.”

Although she recently transferred from Carthage College in Wisconsin after her freshman year, friends said Anna Flory was a true Spartan and never missed a chance to attend an MSU sporting event.

Hughes said her final memory of Anna Flory — joking about the packages Hughes had been hoping to receive before going home — was the usual: Flory making any situation better and even joyous.

Anna Flory was known for her passion for geology, volleyball, outdoors activities and her selflessness. Her mother said she wanted to be a geology teacher and volleyball coach because she loved children.

“She just loved life — she was all the best parts of it,” Brian Flory said. “She worried about making sure other people were happy. She was more of a giver.”

Share and discuss “Anna Flory known for passion for life, positivity ” on social media.