'Workaholics' cast announces movie plans

<p>Comedy Central&#8217;s &#8220;Workaholics&#8221; airs its newest season Wednesday, Jan. 16, 2013, at 10 p.m. on Comedy Central. Photo courtesy of The Imps of Marge and Fletch</p>

Comedy Central’s “Workaholics” airs its newest season Wednesday, Jan. 16, 2013, at 10 p.m. on Comedy Central. Photo courtesy of The Imps of Marge and Fletch

After a world of transition from telemarketer to comedian, “Workaholics” actor and co-writer Adam DeVine hit his stride.

Known on the show as Adam DeMamp, DeVine said the promise of two new seasons of the Comedy Central show and an upcoming movie produced by comedy go-to Seth Rogen leaves him feeling like the luckiest guy alive.

“It was exactly how I wanted things to go, which in life, it never goes exactly how you want it to go,” DeVine said.

Although the crew has yet to come up with a title for their movie, they are working with Rogen and his co-producer Evan Goldberg to translate their written vision into a cinematic reality.

“There’s a difference in writing sketches and writing for TV,” he said. “Now we’re going from TV to producing movies, and we’re lucky enough to have someone like Seth who has done so well.”

The show, now in its third season, depicts the party-filled antics of Adam, Blake and Anders, known as best friends and underachievers.

Prenursing sophomore Kelly Kenyon said she saw her first episode of “Workaholics” about a year ago, and she’s never looked back.

“The show’s absolutely hilarious,” Kenyon said. “It’s so far-fetched, and the guys have no regrets — they’ll do anything.”

When it comes to the show’s popularity among the college crowd, DeVine said it’s no surprise.

“The premise of the show is so relatable to people in college,” he said. “They’re at that point in life where they’re about to be grown up, and that’s scary … You just wanna be with your best friends forever, and that’s kind of what the cast on the show has done and what I think we all wanna do to some extent.”

DeVine also took a chance on an unexpected role in musical comedy “Pitch Perfect,” which he said had a script he couldn’t refuse.

“The script was actually really funny,” he said. “Everyone was like, ‘Why are doing a singing movie?’ But I’m happy to be a part of it.”

Because the show is written and directed by the comedians themselves, DeVine said the trio requires a unique chain of events with each episode.

“We take Jet Skis and drive them out in middle of ocean with a treasure map and get to work that way,” he joked. “Actually, it’s just us in the writers’ room telling stories we might be able to take bits and parts from.”

Although the cast plays coy about any episode spoilers, just the promise of more seasons to come is enough to cause excitement for food science freshman Sean Reed.

“I first saw (the show) about two years ago, and I just thought it was really funny,” Reed said. “(My friends and I) have plans before to watch them together.”

Share and discuss “'Workaholics' cast announces movie plans” on social media.