Ultraviolet Hippopotamus heads to Lansing

The Loft, 414 E. Michigan Ave., in Lansing, opens its doors to musical group Ultraviolet Hippopotamus tonight for the second-consecutive year.

Ultraviolet Hippopotamus, also known as UV Hippo or Hippo, is a musical group consisting of five West Michigan natives.

The group claims a unique style of funk, jazz and reggae.

For journalism sophomore Lia Kamana, their jazz influence is what impresses her most.
“I feel like it’s almost more jazzy than reggae,” Kamana said. “I think someone who definitely (enjoys) jazz, or even old, classic rock, (would enjoy this group).”

Known for their jam band style, UV Hippo guitarist Russell James said that’s not a completely accurate image.

“We’re not necessarily a jam band. We do jam music, but we also do so many different things,” James said. “When people ask us what kind of music we play, well, we like to think we play good music.”

According to James, UV Hippo was created seven years ago as a college band in Big Rapids, Mich.
During their time of growth, band membership started to change.

“As college bands do, people graduate from college and go to pursue their career,” James said.

Keyboard players and guitarist changed because of residential moves, but James, the current lineup has been together for about two years, although UV Hippo has been actively touring for four years. The group plays 150 shows or more per tour.

“That’s when it starts getting rough,” James said.

He is the only married member of the group, and although it’s rough at times, he considers himself lucky.

“It’s difficult to be away from anyone that you care about, especially your kids or your wife,” James said. “There was a little bit of an adjustment, but when you’re lucky enough to be doing anything you love … it kinda makes all of that stuff worth it.”

James said the band appreciates the opportunity to play in Michigan during the tour. The Lansing area concerts give the members a chance to spend time with family and play at one of their favorite Lansing venues.

Since performing at The Loft in February 2012, James said they are anticipating their return.
“It’s one of the nicer places of Lansing, and the management there is great,” he said.

Steve Olson, who’s in charge of the Loft’s booking, marketing and promotions, said he also is excited to see the band.

“There’s an audience around here that appreciates coming out and getting that jam band feel,” he said.

Share and discuss “Ultraviolet Hippopotamus heads to Lansing” on social media.