Ice hockey loses to Notre Dame 1-0

<p>Junior forward Lee Reimer, 22, waits along with freshman forward Ryan Keller, 12, junior defenseman Nickolas Gatt, 14, and junior forward Greg Wolfe, 86, to shake hands with opposing Notre Dame players Friday, Jan. 11, 2013, at Munn Ice Arena after losing 1-0. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

Junior forward Lee Reimer, 22, waits along with freshman forward Ryan Keller, 12, junior defenseman Nickolas Gatt, 14, and junior forward Greg Wolfe, 86, to shake hands with opposing Notre Dame players Friday, Jan. 11, 2013, at Munn Ice Arena after losing 1-0. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Photo by Danyelle Morrow | The State News

In the first half of the series between the two, Notre Dame beat MSU, 1-0.

A series of penalties in the first period resulted in MSU sophomore forward Brent Darnell being sent off the ice for the game with a 5-game major and a game misconduct.

Darnell hit Notre Dame’s Nick Larson from behind, which turned into a scuffle involving most players on the ice. Larson was sent to the box with a roughing call.

Minutes later, Notre Dame received a penalty, giving MSU an advantage, but minutes later the Spartans found themselves having to play shorthanded for almost 2:50 minutes because of Darnell’s major.

Notre Dame’s Robbie Russo scored the only goal of the game, a wrister on a power play.

The two teams meet again tomorrow night at 7:05 p.m. at Munn Ice Arena.

Share and discuss “Ice hockey loses to Notre Dame 1-0” on social media.