Fair to host 137 companies, 2000 students

With some students worried about job prospects after college, MSU is offering steps to get ahead by networking early.

Students of all majors can attend MSU’s Diversity Career Fair 5:30-8:30 p.m. Thursday at Kellogg Center to talk to companies about future internships and jobs.

“Our main goal is to help students interact with employees and to start getting experience,” said Maya Ma, Diversity Career Fair event coordinator, adding the fair attracts about 2,000 students each year. “Sometimes it is hard for students to find jobs right away so this career fair will give them options and a better feeling of the job market.”

Criminal justice sophomore Indasha Gray plans on going to MSU’s Diversity Career Fair.

“This fair is such a good resource to talk to companies that you are interested in so you can maybe have job offers after you graduate,” Gray said.

“After looking at the list of companies that are going to be there, I am really interested in the National Security Agency and the Michigan State Police.”

There has been an increase in the amount of companies attending the fair, and this year, major companies such as Procter & Gamble and AT&T will be there. A total of 137 companies will be taking over the Kellogg Center to talk to students about what they are looking for to in regards to their internship programs.

Ma explained the process that students should expect when they arrive at the event.
“First is the actual career fair at the Kellogg Center for students to talk to employees,” Ma said. “Second, if the employer is interested in a certain person, certain companies will call students back for an interview on Friday.”

Ma also said for students to prepare for the event, they should have their resumes ready and look at the five-step preparation worksheet on the career services network website.

Companies will be recruiting students from many colleges and majors. Recruitment representatives such as Helene Hendrickson, who is coming from the pharmaceutical company Emergent BioSolutions, are excited to see what MSU students have to offer.

“We have already had MSU grads work for Emergent BioSolutions.” Hendrickson said. “There is always a great turnout at this diversity career fair, and we are there to explain what we do and what requirements they need in order to get a job with our company.”

Share and discuss “Fair to host 137 companies, 2000 students” on social media.