FACE TIME: Steven Wildman, Federal Communications Commission chief economist

The government agency responsible for TV and radio censorship recently added a Spartan to its highest ranks.

Steven Wildman, a telecommunications studies professor at MSU and director of the James H. and Mary B. Quello Center for Telecommunication Management and Law at MSU, recently was appointed to be the chief economist for the Federal Communications Commission, or FCC.

While at MSU, Wildman was the acting chairperson of the College of Communication Arts and Sciences’ Department of Telecommunication, Information Studies and Media.

The announcement of Wildman as chief economist for the FCC came at the end of December.

In a statement issued by the FCC, Chairman Julius Genachowski said, “I’m very pleased that Steve will be joining the commission … The chief economist’s role and office are critical to the agency’s work and its understanding of complex economic issues related to the communications sector.”

The State News recently caught up with Wildman to see what his new job entails and what he plans to contribute to the FCC during his time in this position.

— Alex McClung, The State News

The State News: What does the position of chief economist for the FCC entail?

Steven Wildman: I am here as an outside source of economic expertise that might be applied to various policy matters the FCC is working on. Most matters on which the commission acts have an economic component. While the commission has its own staff of economists, the chief economist is an additional resource the FCC can draw on, and hopefully he has expertise and ideas that are complementary to those of the FCC’s permanent staff.

SN: When did you start at the FCC? Is your position fixed, or is it only for a certain period of time?

SW: I started Jan. 4. I expect to be here through mid-August, although it is possible it could go longer.

SN: What do you hope to accomplish during your time at the FCC?

SW: I hope to contribute to the design and implementation of effective communications policy.

SN: You said part of the job is being an economic expert for the FCC. What types of policy matters will you/have you been working on for the FCC?

SW: It is too early to say what I will be working on. Lots of things are possible and a number have been discussed, but I can’t do them all. This is something that will be sorted out over time.

SN: After you finish your time as chief economist, do you plan on returning to your career as a professor, whether at MSU or a different university?

SW: I am on leave from MSU to take this position. I intend to return to MSU after I leave the FCC.

Share and discuss “FACE TIME: Steven Wildman, Federal Communications Commission chief economist” on social media.