Animal neglect case of MSU professor moving to circuit court

<p>Schenck</p>

Schenck

College of Veterinary Medicine assistant professor Patricia Schenck faces animal neglect charges in Clinton County Circuit Court after she opted out of a Thursday hearing at the Clinton County District Court.

The hearing was scheduled to determine if enough evidence is present to take the case to trial, Clinton County Assistant Prosecutor Kevin Hayes said.

Schenck faces charges for the neglect of 10 or more animals, including dogs and cats, Hayes said. A December search of her home found 17 dogs and two cats living in feces.

One dog was euthanized with Schenck’s consent and the additional 16 dogs currently are at the Clinton County Animal Control Shelter. The two cats were not initially taken because police could not find them.

Schenck has posted $5,000 for a bond to pay for the care of the dogs found in her custody, Hayes said.

The case now will move to Clinton County Circuit Court, Hayes said. The custody of the dogs will be handled after the criminal case, he said.

Hayes said police reports could not be released because the investigation is ongoing.

Share and discuss “Animal neglect case of MSU professor moving to circuit court” on social media.