Harris' sharpshooting leads No. 19 Spartans over Loyola-Chicago

<p>Freshman guard Gary Harris makes a shoot in the second half of the game. The Spartans defeated Loyola Chicago, 73-61, Saturday, Dec. 8, 2012, at Breslin Center. Justin Wan/The State News</p>

Freshman guard Gary Harris makes a shoot in the second half of the game. The Spartans defeated Loyola Chicago, 73-61, Saturday, Dec. 8, 2012, at Breslin Center. Justin Wan/The State News

After a first half that saw the No. 19 MSU basketball team head into the locker room trailing Loyola-Chicago, it seemed the Spartans were in line for another lackluster performance against a non-conference opponent.

However, there was nothing lackluster about what Gary Harris had in mind Saturday at Breslin Center.

The freshman guard hit a string of three consecutive 3-pointers in the second half as part of his career-high 20 points on the afternoon to propel the Spartans to a gritty 73-61 victory over Loyola-Chicago.

The Spartans were in foul trouble early in the game, highlighted by two quick fouls dished out to Keith Appling. With the junior guard and offensive leader relegated to the bench, the Spartans struggled to find rhythm in a back-and-forth affair.

Appling returned to the game at the midway point of the half and helped build a 22-12 lead, courtesy of a 14-2 run.

The Detroit native Appling was able to recover from foul trouble and ended his day with eight points and seven assists.

But it didn’t take long for the Ramblers to respond with a 14-0 run of their own to seize a 30-25 lead with two minutes to play in the half. The Ramblers carried a 32-30 lead into the second half.

Forward Ben Averkamp finished as the Ramblers’ leading scorer with 25 points to go along with seven rebounds and two assists.

The second half remained just as competitive early on, as MSU and Loyola jostled for position and each seized a lead in the first five minutes of the frame.

But when Harris got hot from beyond the arc, the Spartans never looked back.

Harris hit the first of his three consecutive triples starting around the 13 minute mark of the half that the Spartans were able to take control and hold the lead the rest of the way.

Junior center Adreian Payne finished the day with his second consecutive double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds while sophomore guards Travis Trice and Branden Dawson chipped in 11 points and seven points, respectively, in the winning effort.

The Spartans have a week without game action before returning to the floor at 9 p.m. on Nov. 15 against Tuskegee at Jenison Field House. It will be the first home game played at Jenison since Breslin Center opened in 1989.

Share and discuss “Harris' sharpshooting leads No. 19 Spartans over Loyola-Chicago ” on social media.