After more than a decade, D'Annunzio's death brings new law

More than a decade after his death, Brandon D’Annunzio’s law officially was passed today after months of deliberation in the Michigan Legislature.

The law was named after Shawn D’Annunzio’s son, a 24-year-old whose skull was cracked during a confrontation on the night of a friend’s bachelor party. He died 11 days later on Oct. 11, 2000 — the day he planned to tell his mother he was engaged.

The bill extends the statute of limitations for crimes such as manslaughter, kidnapping or attempted murder. Prior to the legislation, legal proceedings only could be initiated within 10 years after a crime was committed. D’Annunzio’s law extends the time period to within 10 years after the perpetrator is identified.

After The State News published a story on the 10-year anniversary of D’Annunzio’s death, police received tips that led to the suspect. But by then, the former statute of limitations had run out.

Shawn D’Annunzio began fighting for a bill to extend the statute. The bill passed through the Senate in February and through the House unanimously a few weeks ago.

State Sen. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge, who sponsored and wrote D’Annunzio’s law, previously told The State News he had hoped the bill would be passed before the end of the year. He said modern science and technology allow cold cases, such as D’Annunzio’s, to be solved many years later.

Share and discuss “After more than a decade, D'Annunzio's death brings new law” on social media.