VIM Magazine hopes to expand

On Thursday, mainstream fashion trends were delivered to MSU’s campus, courtesy of VIM Magazine.

Currently, VIM Magazine is the only student-run fashion magazine on campus. Staff members gathered at the rock on Farm Lane and distributed the magazine to passers-by, providing them with a guide of what’s popular and what’s not in the fashion world.

“We try to encompass everything that is going on on campus currently with fashion,” said VIM Event Coordinator and communication and public relations senior Brittany Ricca.

The magazine was founded by three MSU alumni: Kerry Chereskin, Lauren Christopherson and Julie Christopherson. Realizing that MSU didn’t have a fashion magazine, they got together and studied student magazines on other campuses, searching for ideas to facilitate their own. The result became VIM Magazine, which launched in November 2010.

“We started off with 1,500 copies to 2,000 copies, and it started growing from there through word of mouth,” said co-editor-in-chief and apparel and textile design senior Lauren Dale. “And now we’re on social media, so we have a lot of interest.”

Dale said that the magazine continues to grow. Initially just focusing on women’s fashion, the magazine now covers lifetyle, men’s fashion, interior design and other features.

Dale said although magazine hopes to publish more than once a semester, they are proud of how far they have come.

“For now, I think we’re doing well with twice a year, (but) we’re moving forward, definitely,” she said. “It’s getting better and better year-by-year.”

Co-editor-in-chief and apparel and textile design senior Diana Douglas said publishing more than twice a year isn’t the only challenge.

“We really want to reach out to everyone and make it relatable to all students,” she said. “(But) there’s a lot of technical aspects, too. It’s not just the creative aspects that people think of when they think of a magazine.”

VIM promotes the magazine primarily through social media, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and their website currently is under construction.

Share and discuss “VIM Magazine hopes to expand” on social media.