The boy who lived … in Wonders Hall

For one night, Wonders Hall was transformed into Harry Potter's world

Thursday night marked a transformation of Wonders Hall into an interactive Harry Potter world. Take a look inside the magical world of Wonders Hall.

Photo by Katie Stiefel | The State News

No muggles allowed.

On Thursday night, Wonders Hall was transformed into an interactive Harry Potter world. Students came out ready to make their own wand and to find out which Hogwarts house they would be sorted into by the famous Sorting Hat. Every resident of Wonders Hall received a Hogwarts acceptance letter.

“It’s what every kid dreams of when they’re younger; receiving from Albus Dumbledore, ‘Congrats you’ve been accepted into Hogwarts School of Magic,’” Lily Burnstein, a Wonders Hall residential assistant, said.

The residence hall was turned into Diagon Alley, and included Eeylops Owl Emporium, Ollivander’s Wand Shop and Madame Malkin’s Robes for All Occasions.

Animal science freshman Gabrielle Anderson said her favorite part about the event was the Sorting Hat.

“The guy was saying weird stuff, and he’d randomly be like, ‘You! Gryffindor!’” Anderson said. “It was just really funny.”

Above all, Anderson said she admits to being a Harry Potter nerd.

“I considered a Harry Potter tattoo, so I’m a pretty big nerd about it,” Anderson said.

When it comes to staff enthusiasm, Burnstein said the excitement over the event was contagious.

“Our substaff in Wonders Hall has a common love for Harry Potter, so we thought it would be a fun event for all the residents of Wonders,” Burnstein said. “Who doesn’t like Harry Potter?”

Burnstein said she was most excited about the food.

“I’m really excited for the Great Hall — there’s going to be butterbeer, pumpkin juice and chocolate frogs that we homemade,” Burnstein said.

Members of the MSU Quidditch team also came out to represent Harry Potter fandom.

“I thought it was going to be just come in (and) watch a movie,” Erin Betman, beater for the MSU Quidditch team, said. “But they really went all out — lots of details.”

The Quidditch team started things out at 7 p.m. by playing a Quidditch game outside of Wonders Hall.

“(It’s) just scrimmages, but if other people want to come and play, we won’t turn them away,” Betman said. “We’re always interested in getting new people.”

The MSU Quidditch team, according to Betman, was overjoyed to come out and play at Harry Potter world.

“They contacted us — sent us an email — and we came,” Betman said. “We always love doing stuff like this.”

Share and discuss “The boy who lived … in Wonders Hall” on social media.