Students get involved in Family Feud event

<p>Psychology freshman Allison Hough answers questions along with several teammates to compete for prizes at the Spartan Family Feud event hosted by the University Activities Board in the Union Ballroom on Friday, Nov. 16, 2012. Several games were played throughout the night, and students continued to play when prizes ran out. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

Psychology freshman Allison Hough answers questions along with several teammates to compete for prizes at the Spartan Family Feud event hosted by the University Activities Board in the Union Ballroom on Friday, Nov. 16, 2012. Several games were played throughout the night, and students continued to play when prizes ran out. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Premedical freshman Annika DeSouza’s team was called to the stage.

They tried their best but after failing to answer any of the college-themed questions correctly, they lost to the rival team, 360-0.

“We didn’t get any points, which takes real skill,” DeSouza said. “So I think in our hearts, we were the winners.”

DeSouza was just one of many participants in the University Activities Board’s, or UAB’s, first Spartan Family Feud event Friday night. UAB Spirit and Traditions Director Kaitlyn West said that the Spirit and Traditions committee started planning the event six weeks prior.

“We wanted to try a new event that we hadn’t really ever done,” West said. “When we have previously surveyed our students, they said that they really like trivia games and game show-type setups, so we decided to do Family Feud, thinking that it would be really fun.”

The committee came up with the questions, and MSU students selected which questions they liked through social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter.

West believes this format was successful.

“The students just answered, we stopped it after 100 responses and that’s how we polled everybody,” West said.

According to UAB volunteer Elizabeth Woroniecki, everyone on the Spirit and Traditions committee fell in love with the idea of doing Family Feud.

“The PowerPoint person on the committee actually found the template for (Family Feud) online, and we just put the questions and answers in there. It’s really amazing,” she said.

The winning teams were allowed to pick among an assortment of prizes.

The prizes, which Woroniecki described as “Spartan swag,” consisted of MSU shirts, hoodies, sweatpants, clocks, footballs, comforters and pillows.

Students were loud and engaged throughout the night, and West took that as a sign of a successful evening.

Woroniecki believes that the teamwork aspect of Family Feud is what sets it apart from other game shows.

“It’s competitive, and everybody gets a chance to answer,” Woroniecki said. “But you still have to be a team; you have to have good people on your team to win.”

Although DeSouza’s team lost, she said that she would do the event again. She believes these events are good for the MSU student community.

“I think it brings together the student body,” she said. “We have such a huge campus, so it’s just one way to make it smaller, make our college experience more than just about academics.”

Share and discuss “Students get involved in Family Feud event” on social media.