(SCENE) Metrospace showcases new exhibit

Hamtramck, Mich., resident George Rahme changes a record on Friday at (SCENE) Metrospace, 110 Charles St. Rahme played for the unveiling of a new exhibit called "Covatis/ Quo Vadis?" that featured mixed media and photography of Lansing-based artists. James Ristau/The State News
Hamtramck, Mich., resident George Rahme changes a record on Friday at (SCENE) Metrospace, 110 Charles St. Rahme played for the unveiling of a new exhibit called "Covatis/ Quo Vadis?" that featured mixed media and photography of Lansing-based artists. James Ristau/The State News —
Photo by James Ristau | and James Ristau The State News

An urban flair has taken over East Lansing’s contemporary art gallery, (SCENE) Metrospace, 110 Charles St.

Within the gallery, images of construction graffiti, abstract paintings and industrial influences now are featured in a variety of media, including video, paintings and photographs.

The newest exhibit, “Covatis/Quo Vadis?,” was constructed by three local artists and had its official opening from 6-9 p.m. Friday.

Professional writing senior Ethan Tate, whose photos were featured in the exhibit, said his involvement with (SCENE) Metrospace has been a great first gallery experience. He said he especially appreciates the cohesion he felt with the two other artists.

“Everything works together really well — visually and thematically,” Tate said.

For the urban-emphasized exhibit, Tate said he found his inspiration in the irony of construction graffiti. He said he always has been interested in the legal graffiti from construction crews versus the graffiti of street artists, which often is frowned upon.

“I think part of what drew me to it is that I’m really interested in graffiti and the context of it and when it’s allowed and isn’t,” he said. “It’s a playful poke at that.”

MSU alumnus Jonathan Rajewski has art alongside Tate and the third artist, Chris Turner. Unlike Tate, Rajewski said he didn’t find inspiration for his paintings in any one aspect of society.

“Painting is a cathartic process for me,” Rajewski said. “It’s an enjoyable experience, and everything is inspiring. The work is a manifestation of anxiety and desire to produce something.”

Rajewski didn’t begin to invest himself in his art until after graduating from MSU.

He said that though he focused on his studies in college, art has been a part of him his entire life.
(SCENE) Metrospace director and curator Tim Lane said he constantly is searching for local artists to feature in the gallery.

Lane said his connection to the local music scene was the domino that gave way for the exhibit to fall together.

“Jonathan was an MSU student and a local musician, and so I met him through the music scene and we kept in touch,” he said. “Covatis/Quo Vadis?” fell into place through my acquaintance with Jonathan.”

Tate said he hopes the exhibit contributes to a rising interest in contemporary art.

“With the Broad museum opening, there will be an increase in interest in contemporary art,” he said. “This exhibit can tie into that ­— people becoming more interested and more supportive of contemporary art.”

With the opening, Rajewski said he hopes the exhibit will act as a cog in a larger machine to draw more student involvement.

“Covatis/Quo Vadis?” will be on display in (SCENE) Metrospace until Dec. 16.

Share and discuss “(SCENE) Metrospace showcases new exhibit” on social media.