Republican party must change or die

The Republican Party needs to drop its social conservatism, or risk dying out. Why did Mitt Romney lose the election? I’m sure political pundits will be giving their answers for months, but in the endless squabble, I hope one key fact isn’t lost: The GOP platform is severely detached from what the average American actually believes. And unless the party wakes up and realizes this, it will inevitably wither away.

In an interview with a Denver news channel, Mitt Romney rudely dismissed a question about whether medical marijuana should be legalized, saying, “Aren’t there issues of significance that you’d like to talk about?,” before voicing his opposition toward legalization. What does he think about citizens in Colorado and Washington legalizing pot not just for medical, but also for recreational use on the very same day the country decided Romney wouldn’t make a good president?

The 2012 Republican Party platform declared that same-sex marriage is an “assault on the foundations of our society.” Did they miss the numerous Gallup polls that indicate the majority of Americans have absolutely no problem with same-sex relationships?

And why is the party still pushing for overturning Roe v. Wade when large numbers of people who personally consider themselves pro-life still think abortion should stay legal? Come to think of it, why are we even still debating women’s rights in the year 2012?

If the Republicans ever want to get back into the White House, they need to stick to a message of, “We want to lower your taxes and get the government out of your life.” That’s something that will resonate with the average American.

Because when their message is, “We want to ensure one specific type of person can never marry the person they love, that responsible adults can’t choose what they put into their bodies and that women can’t make decisions about their own reproductive systems,” they lose me, and millions of others.

As columnist John Romano put it, “America re-elected a guy who added $5 trillion in debt in four years, who presided over 7.8 percent unemployment for his entire first term and let gas prices double during the same period. If that doesn’t send the GOP a message loud and clear, then the party is hopeless.”

The GOP needs to stop pandering to the Christian right wing. Let them form their own party because they don’t speak for me, they don’t speak for most of the country and they sure don’t speak for young people.

Republicans, next time give me a candidate who’s both pro-free market and pro-civil rights. You’ll have my vote, and I think you’ll be shocked at how many others’ votes you earn, as well.

Josh Anderson, professional writing freshman

Share and discuss “Republican party must change or die” on social media.