Projection: Michigan's 16 electoral votes awarded to Obama

<p>As of 11:30 p.m., the electoral college map — <a href="http://www.cnn.com/election/2012/results/race/president?hpt=elec_racenav">according to <span class="caps">CNN</span></a>.</p>

As of 11:30 p.m., the electoral college map — according to CNN.

Update, 9:10 p.m.: CNN projected Michigan will be awarded to President Barack Obama at the end of the night, despite Republican Mitt Romney’s early surge here.

With about 10 percent of precincts reporting, Obama has 52 percent of the vote. Romney has 47 percent.

Recent statewide poll averages have given Obama an advantage of about 4 percentage points.

As of 9:10 p.m., Romney leads most Upper Peninsula counties, but Obama leads the more populous Oakland and Wayne counties.

Preliminary presidential results from Michigan show the state is leaning slightly red toward Republican native son Mitt Romney, despite recent statewide polls showing President Barack Obama pulling ahead.

As of 8:30 p.m., Romney leads Michigan, 53 percent to Obama’s 46 percent, with less than 1 percent of precincts reporting, according to CNN.

Michigan polls closed at 8 p.m.

Romney also has gained the electoral lead with 76 electoral votes. Obama currently holds 64 electoral votes.

Other crucial swing states remain competitive.

Obama leads Romney by 18 percentage points in Ohio, while Romney leads by 2 percentage points in Florida and 19 percentage points in Virginia.

Nationwide, Romney leads the popular vote with 52 percent compared to Obama’s 47 percent.

As polls began to close as early as 6 p.m. in some states, Romney took an early lead in the south, while Obama led in the east.

Share and discuss “Projection: Michigan's 16 electoral votes awarded to Obama ” on social media.