Izzo shuffling lineup to find right combinations

<p>Senior center Derrick Nix goes for a layup during the game against Texas Southern on Nov. 18, 2012, at Breslin Center. The Spartans beat the Tigers 69-41. Natalie Kolb/The State News</p>

Senior center Derrick Nix goes for a layup during the game against Texas Southern on Nov. 18, 2012, at Breslin Center. The Spartans beat the Tigers 69-41. Natalie Kolb/The State News

Photo by Natalie Kolb | The State News

There was plenty of drama for Derrick Nix in Sunday’s victory over Texas Southern. Unfortunately, most of the drama played out with Nix on the bench, as opposed to anything done on the floor or measured in a stat sheet.

After starting each of the MSU men’s basketball team’s opening games, Nix was benched Sunday in favor of sophomore Alex Gauna — a decision that caused momentary panic for fans and members of the media during the nearly 10 minutes he was out of the game.

Given Nix’s legal troubles in April, which included an arrest and subsequent impaired driving charge, it was only natural to think of the worst-case scenario for the senior center.

However, as it turned out, it was much ado about nothing.

Following the game, head coach Tom Izzo dispelled the rumor mill, citing a desire to experiment with the depth of his lineup, which includes his big men Nix, Gauna, freshman Matt Costello and junior Adreian Payne.

“I’m trying to look at different lineups,” Izzo said. “I’m going to try and give a couple guys a chance to play, and thought this would be a good game to do it.”

Moves such as shifting Payne from center to power forward and giving Costello time at center allows the 18th-year head coach to build chemistry and find combinations for success.

Coming off the bench, Nix accumulated six points and a team-high 11 rebounds in 21 minutes of action of the lopsided 69-41 affair with Texas Southern. Although he won’t come off the bench often, the decision to sit in favor of other players Sunday is what Nix knew was best for the team moving ahead.

“I’ll make sacrifices like that,” Nix said. “If I have to come off the bench, I (will).”

Trouble with Trice
Elsewhere, sophomore guard Travis Trice missed his second consecutive game on Sunday, after suffering a concussion in the team’s opener against Connecticut.

Trice, who also broke his nose on the same play, will miss several more games before returning next week. He’s expected to wear a protective mask upon his return, which could come as early as the noon matchup on Sunday at Breslin Center against Louisiana-Layfaette.

But after seeing Trice struggle for the past week, Izzo said the young guard is making progress in his recovery, which certainly is welcome news for the Spartans.

“Trice actually smiled yesterday, which sounds ridiculous, but that poor kid has been through hell,” Izzo said. “He’s not out of anything yet, but he’s definitely better than two days ago, and we are starting to see some progress.”

Share and discuss “Izzo shuffling lineup to find right combinations” on social media.