Crosstown Showdown renewed for next three seasons

<p>The moon shows up on the roof of Cooley Law School Stadium in Lansing April 5, 2012, as then sophomore catcher and infielder Joel Fisher is about to swing. The Spartans fell to the Lugnuts by a score of 7-0 at Cooley Law School Stadium during the Crosstown Showdown. State News File Photo</p>

The moon shows up on the roof of Cooley Law School Stadium in Lansing April 5, 2012, as then sophomore catcher and infielder Joel Fisher is about to swing. The Spartans fell to the Lugnuts by a score of 7-0 at Cooley Law School Stadium during the Crosstown Showdown. State News File Photo

Photo by Justin Wan | The State News

The Crosstown Showdown, a baseball game between the MSU baseball team and the minor league Lansing Lugnuts, officially has been extended for the next three years, according to a release by the MSU athletics department.

The game, which is sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance, has taken place at Cooley Law School Stadium since its inception six years ago.

“The Crosstown Showdown has been a great event for our entire program,” MSU head coach Jake Boss Jr. said in a release. “It’s really a thrill for me personally, and our team as a whole, to play in front of 13,000 people in a great atmosphere. The Lugnuts are a first-class organization from top to bottom and have taken this event to a whole new level.”

The popular event has drawn in record-breaking crowds, including the all-time stadium record of 12,997 fans in spring 2012. Since the Showdown’s beginning in 2007, the Spartans have claimed two wins and the Lugnuts have taken home four on their home turf.

The seventh game of the Crosstown Showdown will continue the tradition of being played at Cooley Law School Stadium, and it will take place at 7:05 p.m. on April 11, 2013.

Ticket information for the event has not yet been released.

Share and discuss “Crosstown Showdown renewed for next three seasons” on social media.