Avian club fundraiser sells MSU-grown turkeys

Go green, go gravy.

The Avian Science Club is hosting its third annual Thanksgiving turkey sale, now through Nov. 21.

“We would care for (turkeys’) well-being and make sure they were cared for during the project,” said Jessica Ernest, the club’s vice president.

She said the turkeys used in the fundraiser are part of an MSU Poultry Research & Teaching Center study to monitor turkey behavior.

“People should buy from us because 80 of the (turkeys) we’re selling are (MSU) student-grown,” Ernest said. “And the other turkeys are Michigan-grown.”

The other turkeys are taken from Otto’s Turkey Farm in Middleville, Mich.

Owner Tom Otto said he chose to be a turkey farmer because it’s been in his family for years. He is the fifth turkey farmer in his family.

“I grew up in the business,” Otto said. “I guess you can’t take the farm out of the guy. I like the farming aspect, because I also like raising crops. It’s not all about raising turkeys.”

Last year, some of the turkeys grown at MSU were too big, forcing them to look elsewhere, Ernest said. With only two weeks until Thanksgiving, some of the birds again are looking dangerously huge.

“Some turkeys were way too big last year,” Ernest said. “And this year, they are bigger than expected. They’re 20-30 pounds!”

Otto said it’s hard to give a job description of caring for turkeys — it’s just something he knows.

“Right now; I’m looking at them wondering whether or not to let them out because it’s cold,” Otto said. “You’ve got to listen to them — listen to their noises. They’ll yell at (you) if they’re unhappy.”

Money raised from the turkey sale will go toward helping members of the Avian Science Club fund a trip to the International Poultry Expo in Atlanta.

Turkeys can be purchased through Jessica Ernest, via email at ernestje@msu.edu. Turkeys are $2.75 per pound and will be available for pickup Nov. 20 and 21 from 2-6 p.m.

Share and discuss “Avian club fundraiser sells MSU-grown turkeys” on social media.