Making it up

Bath Township, Mich. resident Alex Garza, who is a freelance makeup artist, discusses her passion for makeup artistry.

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

Alex Garza’s love of makeup started on YouTube.

The Bath Township, Mich., resident fell in love with makeup in high school, sitting in front of the computer for hours and teaching herself tips and tricks. Garza, who works as a freelance makeup artist and at the cosmetics store, Ulta, said she knew cosmetology school, rather than
college, was the right choice for her.

“It kind of just came to me … this is what I’m supposed to be doing,” Garza said. “I think I made the right choice, and I’m really happy.”

Garza, a graduate of the Douglas J Aveda Institute, freelances for special occasion, bridal and print work. As well as freelancing, she has a YouTube channel where she posts makeup tips and her favorite products.

Garza said working with brides is one of her favorite aspects of her job, but she also enjoys working on makeup for occasions such as Halloween because it challenges her. For Garza, doing makeup is her dream career.

“When you wake up in the morning and you’re happy about going to work, there’s something to be said about that,” Garza said. “When you go to sleep at night and your mind’s running a mile a minute just because you can’t stop thinking about all the ideas you have in your head, then I think you know you love what you do.”

Share and discuss “Making it up” on social media.