28th annual global festival gives world cultures, tradition spotlight on campus

<p>East Lansing resident Olivia Adlercrevtz plays the Japanese game of kendama at the Global Festival on Nov.11, 2012, at the Union.  Katie Stiefel/State News</p>

East Lansing resident Olivia Adlercrevtz plays the Japanese game of kendama at the Global Festival on Nov.11, 2012, at the Union. Katie Stiefel/State News

Students, faculty and community members came out to show their cultural pride on Sunday as MSU held its 28th annual Global Festival at the Union.

The main exhibits represented 26 regions and countries. The performance exhibit allowed international students from all over the world to contribute songs and dances.

The Global Festival was started at MSU by the Community Volunteers for International Programs 50 years ago, according to Nicole Namy, co-director of the Global Festival Committee. It started as a cultural fair put on by the wives of professors, and was named Global Festival in 1984.

Graduate student Lopamudra DuttaChoudry sat at a table wearing a saree — traditional Indian women’s clothing — and told others about her Indian culture.

“(I was) writing someone’s name in Hindi, or some other thing like if they want I love you, good morning or thank you,” DuttaChoudry said. “I’m meeting lots of people from different countries, people who are already here — Americans — and I feel good to talk about my country and present it.”

Namy said this event allows the community to connect with international cultures present on campus.

“It’s a way for international students to promote their culture,” Namy said. “It’s a good way for the community to come on campus and really partake in a lot of the international events that take place at MSU.”

History education freshman Brienne Peers, said her favorite part was sharing her Greek culture with others.

“It’s really cool because Sparty originated in Greece, so it’s cool to share with people,” Peers said. “I love seeing people look at all the costumes and (seeing) their reactions to it.”

Peers told people who inquire at her table about the basics of Greece — the capital, how to say hello in Greek and other little facts about Greece.

In addition to the main and performance exhibits, there was a world gift shop where people could pick up small gifts donated from all over the globe, and a global cafe offering cultural food from places all around the world — from German pork weinerschnitzel to French dauphinoise potatoes.

DuttaChoudry said she loved seeing people’s interest in her home country.

“I’ve found some people who are pretty interested in seeing India; they say, ‘It’s so beautiful and I should visit there,’” said DuttaChoudry. “It’s great to see their interest in my
country.”

Share and discuss “28th annual global festival gives world cultures, tradition spotlight on campus” on social media.