Field hockey squanders early lead, falls to Michigan 3-2 in overtime

The MSU field hockey team was looking to take down their rival Michigan on Friday, but it just wasn’t in the cards, as they lost 3-2 in overtime.

The Spartans (8-7 overall, 2-2 Big Ten), came out of the gates early, as sophomore forward Abby Barker scored off of a Wolverine (8-5, 1-2) turnover just under two minutes into the contest.

Barker then went on to score the second goal of the game off of an assist from sophomore forward Heather Howie to put the Spartans up 2-0.

MSU appeared to have the game on cruise control, but two Michigan goals early in the second half changed the pace of the game.

The Spartans outshot the Wolverines 5-4 in the first half, but in the second half and overtime MSU was outshot 3-9, with four of those shots in the four minute overtime.

Junior goaltender and Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week Molly Cassidy gave the Spartans five saves in net.

The game was uncharacteristically chippy, as there were seven cards handed out during the game, with four of those going to MSU.

The Spartans look to bounce back against head coach Helen Knull’s alma mater, Kent State, as they travel to Kent, Ohio on Sunday.

Last season, the Spartans topped the Golden Flashes 2-1, and the Spartans lead the all-time series 19-7-1.

The Spartans take on the Golden Flashes at 12 p.m. on Sunday at Kent, Ohio.

Share and discuss “Field hockey squanders early lead, falls to Michigan 3-2 in overtime ” on social media.