Prognosticators: Week 12

Puplis

No. 11 MSU vs. Purdue

Noon, Big Ten Network

Jeremy Warnemuende, football reporter – Purdue has struggled all season, especially the last four weeks when the Boilermakers have lost four consecutive games. Just because Purdue is awful this year, though, don’t expect MSU to take the Boilermakers lightly. A win would give the Spartans the first 10-win season since 1999, keep their Big Ten title hopes alive and send the seniors off on a good note, so they should have plenty to keep them motivated Saturday.

MSU 34, Purdue 10

Jeff Kanan, football reporter – On paper, the Spartans have all the advantages against Purdue, but like last season, I think Purdue will bring a good performance. Still, the Spartans should rebound from their bye week and put together one of their most complete performances of the season to keep Big Ten hopes alive.

MSU 31, Purdue 10

Chris Vannini, sports editor – There was no better time for MSU to have a bye week and no better time to face Purdue. The Spartans rested and the Boilermakers are reeling following an embarrassing performance against Michigan. Defensive end Ryan Kerrigan is a beast, but MSU should double-team him and roll in this one.

MSU 38, Purdue 3

Zach Puplis, supply chain management senior – Great game in West Lafayette, Ind., last year. I sure am going to miss Brett Swenson and his 50-yard boomers, though Dan Conroy has proven a worthy successor. After the Edwin Baker show two weeks ago, “Captain Kirk” Cousins returns to form to bring the Spartans one step closer to a Big Ten championship and a Rose Bowl berth.

P.S.: To my good friend at Purdue, Adam Warner, if you do happen to win this year, call to gloat AFTER the game, not at halftime like last year.

MSU 34, Purdue 10

No. 6 Wisconsin vs. Michigan

Noon, ESPN

JW – Do I think Wisconsin is going to put up 83 points against the Wolverines like it did against Indiana last week? No. Is it possible against the worst defense Michigan has ever fielded? Yes. The Badgers might have a hard time slowing down whomever is playing quarterback for the Wolverines these days, but they shouldn’t have any problems outscoring the Maize and Blue.

Wisconsin 56, U-M 23

JK – I’m surprised Wisconsin is only a 5-point favorite, given how much more of a complete team it is than U-M. Two straight wins for the Wolverines give them hope, but Wisconsin is in gear right now. Still, if quarterback Denard Robinson can get back on track, U-M can give the Badgers a game.

Wisconsin 34, U-M 20

CV – The Badgers always seem to struggle against Michigan, not having won at the Big House since 1994. After putting up 83 points on Indiana, the Badgers have a lot of confidence and the defense should hold off a suddenly struggling U-M offense.

Wisconsin 42, U-M 17

ZP – Wisconsin’s troubles in the Great Lakes State continue. Wisconsin hasn’t won a game in the state of Michigan since 2002. Though it pains me as a lifelong State fan to root for the Maize and Blue, this would help us win the Big Ten outright.

Michigan 24, Wisconsin 20

No. 8 Ohio State vs. No. 21 Iowa

3:30 p.m., ABC

JW – The matchup between the Hawkeyes and Buckeyes feels a lot like when MSU rolled into Iowa City, Iowa. I expect Iowa to bounce back from its third loss of the season just like it did against the Spartans, although not as convincingly this time.

Iowa 27, Ohio State 24

JK – Ricky Stanzi’s efficiency will go against an Ohio State defense that returned two interceptions for touchdowns last week. Something has to give. The two best run defenses in the Big Ten will battle out, but late-game plays will lead Iowa to a win.

Iowa 24, Ohio State 17

CV – Spartan fans will be rooting hard for the Hawkeyes to pull off the upset and help MSU’s Rose Bowl chances. The Buckeyes have been an inconsistent team this year and a hostile environment should boost the Hawkeyes to the win.

Iowa 17, Ohio State 10

ZP – After last week’s tough loss at Northwestern, Iowa will come out madder than heck. Their Big Ten Championship dreams dashed, they hope to do the same to Ohio State. Two very talented teams, this game should go down to the wire again, but this time it will be in the Hawkeyes’ favor. Revenge is sweet.

Iowa 27, Ohio State 24

Share and discuss “Prognosticators: Week 12” on social media.