Saturday, December 20, 2014 | Last updated: 7:58pm

Academics and Administration Blog

Study shows grads move back home

By Rebecca Ryan          Posted: 03/20/12 11:50pm         

Because of the rough economy in the past few years, more Spartans might be likely to move in with their parents after graduation.

More adults aged 25 to 34 are moving back in with their parents because of financial struggles, according to a report from the Pew Research Center published last week. The Pew Research Center looked at the U.S. Decennial Census Data from 1940 to 2000 and the 2010 American Community Survey.

About 29 percent of adults between the ages of 25 and 34 have returned home at some point, but many adults still feel satisfied with their living arrangements.

Although more adults in their late twenties are depending on their parents for a place to live, parents are still holding their children responsible for rent.

According to the report, 48 percent of children reported paying rent to their parents when living in their home, and an even larger 89 percent said they have helped with household expenses.

But as more young adults move in with their parents, there are also more adults disappointed with their current living situations, claiming they are not living the life they imagined.

About eight-in-ten of the adults living with their parents, or about 78 percent, reported being unhappy with their current lives. Of adults ages 25 to 34 living away from their parents, 55 percent said their financial situations are in par with what they imagined.