Tuesday, September 23, 2014 | Last updated: 1:48pm

Academics and Administration Blog

Dancing for a good cause

By Rebecca Ryan          Posted: 02/07/12 11:50pm         

At Big Ten universities around the country, students have been hosting dance marathons to raise money for charities that help sick children.

Although MSU has jumped on the dance marathon bandwagon, it has not raised nearly as much money in the past as Penn State or Iowa.

On Feb. 4, students at the University of Iowa raised more than $1.3 million toward pediatric cancer, beating their record of $1.2 million from the 2010-11 academic year.

Penn State University’s student body raised more than $9.59 million in the 2010-11 academic year for the Four Diamonds Fund, which covers the cost of cancer treatment that insurance does not cover for children.

Penn State’s marathon this year is scheduled for Feb. 17-19.
Last year, about 75 MSU students danced to raise money for the MSU Children’s Health Initiative and other organizations that raise money to help children with diseases in the Lansing area.

The students raised more than $6,400 overall.

The 24-hour dance parties can be successful fundraisers if widely attended, but MSU’s past fundraisers have not been as large as Penn State’s or Iowa’s.

The students at Penn State fundraiser year-round to collect donations for their fund, and Joe Paterno often promoted the organization when he was at the university, which could explain the larger amount of funds it raises each year.

MSU students will be hosting another dance marathon at the end of March, and proceeds will once again go to the MSU Children’s Health Initiative.

Hopefully this year, with more publicity and promotion, MSU might come closer to reaching the level of some other Big Ten Schools.