Tony Lucca draws hundreds to Lansing festival

Tony Lucca put on a show Friday night that got some audience members’ panties in a bunch — until they took them off and threw them at him.

“(The event was) a tent full of drunkards (and) people having the time of their life for a night,” Lucca said with a smile. “To get to entertain them, it’s more than you can ask for.”

Lucca, a finalist on NBC’s “The Voice,” performed at the Festival of the Moon in Lansing’s Old Town Friday night for about 500 screaming fans.

Louise Gradwohl, executive director of the Old Town Commercial Association and festival director of the Festival of the Moon, said the event went well.

“Tonight went extremely well,” Gradwohl said. “It’s exciting to see so many people come out and support a great cause.”

Gradwohl said Lucca’s performance at the event brought a better crowd.

“It’s a really great fit right now with him being recently on ‘The Voice,’ she said. “It really brought a variety of people.”

Brian Doyle worked at the event for the first time this year and said he definitely would work at it again next year.

“I’ve been coming here for three or four years and wanted to get more involved,” Doyle said.
Stephanie Short, of Okemos, Mich., said it was her first time at the event and that she and her husband were treating it as a date night.

“With two kids, it’s nice to get out,” Short said. “I like the atmosphere.”

Short found out about the event from advertisements and looked Lucca up on YouTube because she had never heard of him.

Lucca said playing a show like the one he did Friday night isn’t the easiest thing to do.

“When you have a big crowd at this hour that has been drinking beer all day, even if you come out guns blazing, it’s still intimidating to try and get their attention, or try to keep them entertained.”

He added that he had a lot of fun, and watching the reaction of the crowd was what he found most exciting.

“To see people get worked up about a Britney Spears song that’s like 15 or 16 years old,” he said. “That’s a lot of fun.”

April Terbrack, of Clawson, Mich., has been a fan of Lucca since before he was on “The Voice,” and wore a T-shirt with his Twitter handle printed on the front to the event.

“This is the second night in a row that I’ve seen Tony,” Terbrack said. “He was amazing last night and he was amazing tonight.”

Lucca said the show exceeded all his expectations.

“Everything seemed to fall into place, it was really fun,” he said. “I didn’t expect this, but it was incredible.”

Share and discuss “Tony Lucca draws hundreds to Lansing festival” on social media.