Thursday, August 28, 2014 | Last updated: 1:36am

Group hangs banner without permission

yjw_new_greenpeace_040212jpg

From left, psychology junior Mike Tiura, history, philosophy, and sociology of science sophomore Jordan Lindsay, and hospitality business freshman Adam Woznicki sit by the lawn outside Kedzie Hall on Monday afternoon as they watch members of the MSU Greenpeace hold a banner from the top of Ramp 2 on Auditorium Road.

On Monday afternoon, four members of MSU Greenpeace hung a 20-by-20 foot sign that read, “SPARTAN GREEN? I WISH! We need 100% clean energy,” off the side of Ramp 2, a parking garage near Bessey Hall.

The sign was hung at about 12:20 p.m., and members of MSU Greenpeace took it down about two hours later because they had to go to class, said Jordan Lindsay, a history, philosophy and sociology of science sophomore and media coordinator of MSU Greenpeace.

Lindsay said no representatives from MSU approached them requesting they take the sign down, and she has not been contacted by anyone with complaints about the banner.

Monday evening, university spokesman Tom Oswald said in an email that organizations must obtain a permit before displaying banners from university buildings. He said MSU Greenpeace did not obtain a permit before hanging the banner from Ramp 2.

Oswald said he is not aware if the university plans on pressing charges at this time.

While the banner was hanging from the building, members of MSU Greenpeace were standing on the sidewalk, encouraging students to call the MSU Board of Trustees to request clean energy.

“There were a lot of students that were stopping and looking up at it,” Lindsay said. “We want to send a clear message to the administration that we need 100 percent clean energy on campus.

Staff writer Rachel Jackson contributed to this report.