Potential renovations to Landon and Akers cafeterias in the works

Residents in West Circle and East neighborhoods could see changes to their culinary services in the coming years pending an evaluation examining logistics of renovating cafeterias in Landon and Akers halls.

Associate Director of Residential Dining Bruce Haskell said plans are still early for renovations, but future construction projects for campus dining halls are under evaluation.

Akers and Landon halls could see a complete makeover of their cafeterias, similar to Brody Square or the Gallery at Snyder and Phillips halls but on a smaller scale, he said. Wilson Hall also could see “light modification” to its culinary services, Haskell said.

The projects will follow completion of $20 million renovations to Case Hall’s cafeteria, which will reopen next semester, and $13.95 million upgrades to Shaw Hall’s cafeteria, which will begin construction in summer 2012.

Haskell, who spoke to the Residence Halls Association, or RHA, at their meeting last week, said there is no timeline yet for the Landon and Akers halls projects and declined to comment on costs.

RHA President Sarah Pomeroy said renovating the cafeterias will provide additional spaces for students to refresh and relax with their friends.

“I think updating the cafeterias shows that MSU is really invested in the student body,” she said.

Pomeroy also said having updated cafeterias will provide an energizing atmosphere to better contribute to the student experience on campus.

Special education sophomore Kate Fitzpatrick, who lives in Landon Hall, said making renovations to the cafeteria would make getting food more convenient in such a crowded space. She said whenever she wants to get certain foods at Landon’s cafeteria, she has to walk all the way across the cafeteria and would prefer a clearer walkway.

Fitzpatrick also said she hopes the “homey and old-fashioned” feel of the cafeteria can be maintained.

Haskell said Landon potentially would have to close for a full year given the complexities of renovating an older building. In the process, West Circle Culinary Services would move entirely into Yakeley Hall’s cafeteria.

No-preference sophomore Zhaoxi Ling said she likes the idea of updating the cafeteria at Landon Hall but said it would be a “huge hassle” during the construction process.

“I would hate it, especially in the winter,” she said.

If renovations to Wilson Hall are approved, the cafeteria still will be open to students during the construction process, Haskell said.

Share and discuss “Potential renovations to Landon and Akers cafeterias in the works” on social media.