City council swears in new mayor, mayor pro tem

Triplett

The theme of the East Lansing City Council’s Nov. 16 meeting was change.

In front of a packed crowd, the council swore in its newest member and chose Diane Goddeeris as its new mayor with a split vote, and voted in Nathan Triplett as its new mayor pro tem.

Nominated by Councilmember Kevin Beard and supported by Triplett, Goddeeris won the mayoral seat in a 3-2 vote against incumbent and former Mayor Vic Loomis. Newly elected councilmember Don Power voted in Loomis’ favor.

Loomis, who was first elected to council in 2001 and has served as mayor since 2007, did not comment during the meeting and did not answer later calls from The State News.

Goddeeris has served on the city council since 2006 and has been mayor pro tem for four years.

She said she was happy to have the chance to take on the job and thanked Loomis for the time and effort he put in during his four years as mayor.

“While it wasn’t unanimous, that’s OK,” Goddeeris said. “I believe this council is a team … (that brings) unique perspectives to the table and a common purpose.”

Power said the vote reflected a difference in opinion between council members, but said having a diverse council was vital to moving the community forward.

“The vote stands at 3-2 — that in itself is significant,” Power said. “Our greatest strength is our greatest weakness, and that’s our differences.”

The change-up was not met with complete support from those in attendance, reflecting differences in opinion on both the resident and council levels.

East Lansing resident Alice Dreger said Loomis was exceptional in his involvement with the community, and was saddened to see the turn of events.

“I am very disappointed that you will not continue as our mayor,” Dreger said, addressing Loomis. “You were the only person who took us really seriously.”

Triplett, who was nominated by Goddeeris and was the only nomination for the mayor pro tem seat, said a community such as East Lansing should be expected to have differences in opinion.

“It would be shocking if we all agreed with everything,” Triplett said.

Goddeeris said the two major issues she hoped to address with the council as soon as possible were the 2013 budget and the process of finding a new city manager to take the place of former City Manager Ted Staton.

A major personal goal for Goddeeris, though, is to be more actively involved and work with Triplett to provide an accessible face to the East Lansing community.

“Vic was great at doing that, and I think we can be too,” Goddeeris said.

For Power, the only council member new to the table, the process of garnering more student interest in city affairs is a crucial point he plans to focus on during his next four years in office.

“I plan to look at every issue confronted (by council) with students,” Power said.

“I’d like them at some point to be involved.”

In the short term, Power said he is looking for at least eight students to help him bridge the town-gown gap between students and permanent residents.

Share and discuss “City council swears in new mayor, mayor pro tem” on social media.