Roe to begin filming for local movie

Former MSU basketball player Delvon Roe will star in “Gametime,” a feature film about two college basketball players, the Michigan Film Office announced Friday.

Roe quit the men’s basketball team Thursday because of traumatic leg injuries he sustained during
his career.

In the new movie, which will begin filming in mid-October, Roe will play Malik, a college athlete questioning the ethics behind player compensation and others earning money for his success on the court.

With his experience playing basketball at MSU, the part was a perfect fit, Roe said.

“It seemed like a documentary on my life,” Roe said. “It seemed like I was meant for this role.”

Roe performed in MSU’s productions of “As You Like It” in November 2010 and “Return to the Upright Position” in September, among others.

“Gametime” will be filmed in East Lansing, Ann Arbor and Metro Detroit.

The movie will receive a $498,868 film incentive from the state of Michigan to fund production. The projected budget is $1,187,780.

About 59 Michigan workers will be hired for “Gametime,” the equivalent to about 10 full-time jobs.

No further applications for film incentives will be accepted for the 2012 fiscal year until new legislation is passed, the Michigan Film Office announced Friday.

Share and discuss “Roe to begin filming for local movie ” on social media.