Medical students ‘operate’ on unique patients

From left, Kayla Michael, 6, of Lansing, and Leisya Newell, 6, of Williamston, Mich., gaze at a new born baby cart as Sparrow Hospital nurse Suzegge Wasielewski invites the children to touch the teddy bear inside the cart. The College of Human Medicine hosted the Teddy Bear Hospital and Picnic 4H Children?s Garden Saturday noon time.  Justin Wan/The State News
From left, Kayla Michael, 6, of Lansing, and Leisya Newell, 6, of Williamston, Mich., gaze at a new born baby cart as Sparrow Hospital nurse Suzegge Wasielewski invites the children to touch the teddy bear inside the cart. The College of Human Medicine hosted the Teddy Bear Hospital and Picnic 4H Children?s Garden Saturday noon time. Justin Wan/The State News —
Photo by Justin Wan | and Justin Wan The State News

On Saturday, medical graduate students Ian McKeag and Syeeda Alam put on their white coats, broke out their needles and bandages and put their skills to the test on ailing teddy bears.

The graduate students at the College of Human Medicine and the College of Osteopathic Medicine were volunteers at the seventh annual Teddy Bear Hospital and Picnic hosted by the MSU Department of Pediatrics and Human Development and the MSU Children’s Health Initiative.

Although the event aimed toward eliminating the fear factor out of hospital and doctor visits for children, it served as an equally influential event for the student participants.

“It’s a great way for first-year medical students to participate,” said Pam Miklavcic, associate director of MSU Children’s Health Initiative. “They come in and they work with the doctors. For most of them, it’s their first time in their white coat. It’s just a great way to give back to (the) community and participate with kids and get to be doctors for the first time.”

The Michigan 4-H Children’s Garden was filled with booths, pediatricians, dentists, musical entertainment and included visits from the MSU women’s basketball team and Sparty.

Miklavcic said the picnic had about 22 subspecialists this year, ranging from audiology to infectious disease and cardiology to sports medicine. The booths were led by professionals in the field and students studying to be future professionals.

McKeag and Alam took full advantage of being able to “operate” on sick patients regardless of the patients being stuffed and covered with fur.

“Any experience is good experience,” McKeag said. “We’re both first-years, so we’re just trying to get our feet wet. It’s also kind of a nice way to interact with some of the students from the other programs, but in the long run … we’re getting to work with some of the faculty and going to learn about how to work in this one particular field.”

Alam said the day gave her a more visual realization of what goes on in the medical field.

“Today has that clinical aspect to it, so we can see how everything gets put together,” Alam said.
The two medical students hope to alleviate the fear many children have of doctors.

“I can definitely say that nobody’s ever comfortable going to a doctor, especially when they’re younger,” McKeag said. “If they can think back and connect doctors to them having fun … it would hopefully be beneficial to them.”

Share and discuss “Medical students ‘operate’ on unique patients” on social media.