Proposed federal budget cuts would affect Michigan Planned Parenthood

Many MSU students are concerned about the effects of proposed federal budget cuts to Planned Parenthood, an organization that provides reproductive health resources and services.

An amendment in Congress would lead to about $317 million in cuts for Planned Parenthood if passed.

The amendment would eliminate Title X, an initiative that provides funding for the Planned Parenthood program.

It also would prevent Planned Parenthood from receiving any and all federal funding — including grants — from the government.

The move is part of a budget-cutting initiative and would reduce funding to the Michigan program by $8 million.

Planned Parenthood centers administer exams to test for cervical and breast cancer, as well as sexually transmitted diseases such as HIV, but have come under fire for offering abortion services.

Desiree Cooper, director of community and media relations with Planned Parenthood of Mid and South Michigan said cuts would impact about 125,000 women, teenagers and men throughout the state.

“It’s a frontline prevention health care that we provide. But for our service, a lot of people would not even go to a doctor,” Cooper said.

Cooper said the organization saves the state money in its Medicaid program — for every dollar spent on family planning, $6.47 is saved in Medicaid costs, which allowed state to save about $74 million in 2008.

Liz Dick, the health center manager for the Planned Parenthood in Lansing, 300 N. Clippert, said the service is important for providing inexpensive health care.

“We’re the primary and only provider of care for women who can’t afford to go to a private doctor,” Dick said.

Andrew Walker, chairman of the MSU College Republicans, said the group supports cutting funds to help balance the budget and prevent alleged abuse at the clinics.

“Republicans are in office under the premise that federal spending has to be curtailed,” Walker said.

Although Walker recognized that no federal money can go toward abortion as stated by Title X, he said funding to Planned Parenthood still is supporting an organization that performs abortions.

“Many Americans would feel better supporting an organization that would provide for women’s health and not abortion,” Walker said.

Joe Duffy, president of the MSU College Democrats, said cutting funding to Planned Parenthood would make little impact on the total budget, which ranges in the trillions of dollars.

“Women are going to lose access to reproductive health care (leading to) a lot of negative consequences for their health and their family’s health and their financial future,” Duffy said.

Advertising senior Lauren Doherty said Planned Parenthood is an important program for women.

“Some girls can’t turn to their parents for birth control,” Doherty said.
“Girls can’t pay for it themselves, so if parents don’t support their decision, they would have nowhere else to turn.”

Share and discuss “Proposed federal budget cuts would affect Michigan Planned Parenthood ” on social media.