Board of Trustees to decide Steve Webster’s replacement

<p>Burnham</p>

Burnham

Mark Burnham likely will become the new MSU vice president of governmental affairs, as current vice president Steve Webster has taken a position as CEO and chairman of a nonprofit, statewide economic development organization.

Burnham, who currently is MSU’s associate vice president for governmental affairs in Washington, D.C., and has been with the university for 13 years, said he is looking forward to moving back to Michigan but will wait until the end of his children’s school year to move.

“Being the face of MSU to Congress and the administration here has really been a pleasure,” he said.

Webster now works for the Prima Civitas Foundation but will continue to maintain the state relations and economic development portfolio for MSU and serve as a special advisor to President Lou Anna K. Simon for state relations, he said. The federal relations and overall responsibility of the office is transitioning to Burnham, pending approval of the MSU Board of Trustees at its Feb. 11 meeting, he said.

One of Burnham’s most pressing responsibilities will be maintaining momentum for state support of the Facility for Rare Isotope Beams project, Webster said. He also will work on returning the property of the former Michigan State Police headquarters on Harrison Road to MSU and continue to push for state student financial aid funding, Webster said.

Although Burnham has been located in Washington, D.C., he has remained very connected to Michigan’s state, local and economic development issues as a member of the President’s Council, State Universities of Michigan, Webster said. The pair have been working together on “anything important” in the governmental affairs department for more than four years, Webster said.

“If it’s been an issue of consequence — (Burnham) has been a part of the conversation,” he said.
Simon said it is important to have someone who is a great communicator and well-respected to take over for Webster’s position so that MSU does not lose ground in a “very pivotal moment” for Washington, D.C., and the state.

“(Burnham) and (Webster) have been working closely and he will take on the leadership role as we untangle messages and work with (Gov. Rick Snyder) and the Legislature,” Simon said.

Burnham said he is looking forward to working with the new administration in Lansing and providing guidance to the university about the best way to structure operations. The Michigan budget also is facing an overhaul, something MSU will need to be involved with, he said.

“When I met with President Simon, it was very clear that she was giving me an opportunity to really play a key role for the university and for the state,” Burnham said. “When I get to be close to family and friends who I’ve been close to for years … it’s really just a special bonus for me and it really means a great deal.”

Staff writer Zane McMillin contributed to this report.

Share and discuss “Board of Trustees to decide Steve Webster’s replacement” on social media.