Area fair trade store moves to Grand River

Local fair trade store Kirabo is closing its doors at 215 Ann St. in downtown East Lansing to open a new location directly on Grand River Avenue.

The store, which offers a wide variety of items certified by the Fair Trade Federation to provide fair compensation to artisans around the world, is moving to a new spot at 225 E. Grand River Ave. because of upcoming redevelopments in the old location, said Gail Catron, managing partner of Kirabo.

She said Kirabo had been in its previous location for three and a half years.

Catron said she would not have minded keeping Kirabo in its old location because of the expenses of relocating but said she was excited to start up business in the new location regardless.

“Life changes, situations change,” she said. “We still like being in this area.”

Catron said she is enthusiastic about the opportunities the new location presents, including a potential new influx of interested window-shoppers.

“We think (Kirabo will) get more exposure with our sign directly on Grand River (Avenue),” Catron said. “We’ll get a lot more foot traffic.”

Steve Petras, a general management freshman said bringing fair trade stores such as Kirabo to the forefront could help East Lansing’s economy grow.

“It’s a big, social place (and) it also brings a lot of money and variety,” Petras said.

Representatives from the city of East Lansing were not available for comment.

Melissa Schofding, a sales associate at La Bodega, 619 E. Grand River Ave., said some large-scale businesses are starting to incorporate fair trade products into their merchandise and said others might follow.

“It could bring more awareness, and maybe encourage some other stores on Grand River (Avenue) to start selling fair trade products as well,” Schofding said.

Although it’s good that students are being exposed directly to more fair trade options with Kirabo’s move, people always should be aware of the origin of the items they’re purchasing, wherever they’re shopping, said Tye Dye Thom, co-owner of the Wish You Were Here fair trade booth currently at the Union.

“Students are starting to realize they need to be more conscious of where their clothes are coming from, but they’re still buying clothes from (big name stores),” Thom said.

Catron said Kirabo’s new location likely would open its doors today, weather permitting, and a grand opening celebration will happen when new spring merchandise arrives in early March.

Staff writer Beau Hayhoe contributed to this report.

Share and discuss “Area fair trade store moves to Grand River” on social media.