Student’s business breaks out of its shell with local help

It began in Detroit.

While mentoring children through an MSU program called My Brother’s Keeper, which encourages nontraditional forms of education, Bryce Colquitt had an idea. What if he created an educational online game teachers could tailor to fit their needs? True, there were already educational games available, but Colquitt thought he could make a more engaging one that would be more useful to teachers and students alike.

“Right now, learning is boring,” Colquitt said. “We want to make learning fun and interactive and social. It can be that, but education has to catch up with all the innovations technology is bringing to the world.”

Colquitt, an English senior, began to lay the foundation for the game. After winning a $1,000 investment from Startup Weekend Lansing, Jolly Digital was born. Earlier this month, the group became the first tenants to move into the Hatch, an incubator at 110 Charles St. for student businesses, allowing them to get a solid footing before branching out on their own.

“We’re enabling teachers to customize games around their lessons plans,” Colquitt said.

Young entrepreneurs such as Colquitt, who is working part time on the game while taking classes at MSU, can struggle making connections in the business world, said F. Samuel Carter, an associate professor for marketing at MSU.

“Being credible, or being taken seriously, and then just access to the broader business community, are two of (student entrepreneurs’) major challenges,” Carter said.

Colquitt said the Hatch has helped him overcome some of the obstacles in bringing his business to a more professional level.

“Hatch is a good space,” Colquitt said. “They have the resources we need (and) it’s been very helpful.”

Colquitt said the Hatch is tailored for inspiration and productivity with large white boards in the office and support from the Hatch staff. It also provides his business with a legitimate mailing address and space to come together and work.

East Lansing Project Manager Jeff Smith said the mindset of those in the building is another benefit of the Hatch.

“You have similar-minded individuals trying to make their story be the success story,” Smith said. “The more support you have around you, the more creative juices are flowing.”

Carter said many successful businesses, such as Apple and Facebook, began with individuals who worked in an environment which fostered their ideas.

“Those weren’t single individuals who create gigantic business,” Carter said. “They were one of several who were engaged in a particular business.”

Colquitt plans to have a group of children test the game during the summer before presenting to a larger group in the fall.

“It’s exciting because we’re creating something from scratch,” Colquitt said. “I couldn’t be (happier) about it.”

Share and discuss “Student’s business breaks out of its shell with local help” on social media.