Bernero continues fight for TV debates

Antics about the number of gubernatorial debates to hold continued Monday evening between Democratic candidate and Lansing Mayor Virg Bernero and Republican candidate and Ann Arbor businessman Rick Snyder after Bernero unexpectedly arrived at one of Snyder’s town hall meetings.

As he campaigns across the state, Snyder holds many town hall meetings that are free and open to the public; this, his 59th, was in Westland, Mich., near Detroit. Surprising Snyder, Bernero arrived with a letter that asked Snyder to meet over coffee and discuss one-on-one the matter of when, where and how many televised debates to hold.

Snyder agreed to meet Bernero, but did not commit to discuss the debates. He then invited Bernero into the meeting and, after presenting a shortened version of his campaign platform to the gathered voters, Snyder allowed Bernero to speak. Afterward, both candidates took questions from the audience in a civil, impromptu debate free from arguments, a representative for Snyder’s campaign said.

Monday’s meeting was the latest round in an ongoing match between the candidates about how many debates to hold. After the primary elections, Bernero publically called for eight debates, but Snyder put the cap at three.

For the next five weeks, the campaigns negotiated to find a number and format that appeased both candidates. On Friday, after Bernero attempted to modify Snyder’s final offer, Snyder’s campaign ended the debate negotiations.

Although the date for the meeting has not been set yet, Bernero is pleased that Snyder agreed to meet him and that he was allowed to speak at Monday’s town hall, Bernero spokesman Cullen Schwarz said.

“Snyder shook (Bernero’s) hand and told him, and committed to meeting with him, so I expect Mr. Snyder will be a man of his word,” Schwarz said. “(The town hall) was a very positive exchange of ideas and hopefully it makes Mr. Snyder more comfortable with the idea of joining (Bernero) in at least three televised debates. … It doesn’t have to be complicated. You’ve got two guys, a stage, somebody asking questions, you put it on TV, and you’ve got a debate.”

Despite the surprise, Snyder said he was happy to be able to debate with Bernero.

“This is what democracy is all about ­— real people asking tough questions and getting straight answers, not scripted, 30-second sound bites,” Snyder said in a statement.

The debate surrounding debates is not politically surprising considering the wide gulf between the candidates’ support ratings in the polls and between the candidates’ funds, said Charles Atkin, chairman of MSU’s Department of Communication and specialist in campaign communications. Snyder raised more than $8 million, while Bernero only raised about $1.15 million during their campaigns through Aug. 23, according to the most recent campiagn finance reports filed with the Michigan Secretary of State.

“Quite clearly, (Bernero), who’s down 20 points, sees a debate as a chance to catch up,” Atkin said. “Snyder, on the other hand, doesn’t stand to gain much from a debate … (and) doesn’t need that free publicity, because he’s got plenty of money he can spend on commercials.”

As media headlines continue to form, the resolution to the debate question still could be far in the future, Atkin said.

“If (Bernero) can’t get the debate set up, Bernero finds he can get a lot of free publicity just by asking for the debates, so that’s why it keeps going on and on,” Atkin said.

Share and discuss “Bernero continues fight for TV debates” on social media.