Nebraska joins Big Ten, competition to start in 2011-12 academic year

(Update 7:30 p.m.: Statement from MSU Athletics Director Mark Hollis added)

The University of Nebraska will join the Big Ten Conference in July 2011, following a unanimous approval by the Big Ten Council of Presidents/Chancellors on Friday.

Nebraska will begin athletic competition in all sports starting in the 2011-12 academic year. Nebraska will be the 12th school in the Big Ten and the first to join since Penn State University joined in 1990.

“We believe Nebraska is an extraordinary fit, reflecting the criteria we established at the beginning of the process – high academic quality, competitiveness, cultural compatibility and fiscal responsibility,” MSU President and chair of the Council of Presidents/Cancellors Lou Anna K. Simon said in a statement. “The extensive and in-depth discussions my colleagues and I have had about Big Ten expansion permitted us to act expeditiously and prudently on the application submitted by Nebraska. We look forward to working with our colleagues at UNL in the years ahead.”

Nebraska submitted a written application Friday, which then was approved via conference call by the Council of President/Chancellors later in the day.

“The Big Ten Conference has much to offer,” Nebraska Director of Athletics Tom Osborne said in a statement. “This is a tribute to our athletic program, our academic programs and our fans. This is the right move at the right time. This is a rare opportunity that may not have been an option for us in the future.”

MSU Athletics Director Mark Hollis released a statement regarding Nebraska.

“We’re excited about Nebraska’s admission into the Big Ten Conference,” Hollis said in the statement. “Across the board, Nebraska’s sports are extremely competitive on the national level. There are very few programs that can rival the Nebraska football brand, which ranks fourth in the NCAA in all-time victories. In addition, Nebraska boasts a number of quality head coaches, including Bo Pelini (football), John Cook (volleyball), Doc Sadler (men’s basketball), Connie Yori (women’s basketball) and Mike Anderson (baseball).

“Nebraska is a perfect fit, academically and athletically, and I look forward to collaborating with Dr. Tom Osborne as we begin a new chapter in the Big Ten’s storied history.”

Share and discuss “Nebraska joins Big Ten, competition to start in 2011-12 academic year” on social media.