Granholm visits campus, urges students to fight for Mich. Promise Scholarship

Gov. Jennifer Granholm addressed MSU students Wednesday morning on the steps of the Administration Building and encouraged them to fight for the Michigan Promise Scholarship.

“I’m here to stand in solidarity with you, to ask the Michigan Senate to restore the Michigan Promise,” Granholm said.

The scholarship was cut, along with 61 percent of additional financial aid funding, to erase Michigan’s $2.8 billion deficit for the 2009-10 fiscal year. About 96,000 students statewide and 8,200 MSU students relied on the scholarship.

About 100 students gathered to listen to Granholm, who was accompanied by MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon and representatives from ASMSU and the MSU Council of Graduate Students.
ASMSU is MSU’s undergraduate student government.

“It is very clear that we have got to fund this promise, so I am asking you to stand tall and to make your voices heard,” Granholm told the crowd.

Following her visit to MSU, Granholm was scheduled to speak at Saginaw Valley State University later in the day. She also is scheduled to address students Thursday at Central Michigan University, Grand Valley State University and Western Michigan University.

Share and discuss “Granholm visits campus, urges students to fight for Mich. Promise Scholarship” on social media.