Sunday, September 21, 2014 | Last updated: 2:10pm

Frustrations boil over as U-M sweeps regular season series from MSU

WEBKDR_HKY_UM2_012409

Sophomore defenseman Jeff Petry fights for control of the puck with Michigan’s Chris Summers during the second period of Saturday night’s game in Ann Arbor. MSU lost 5-3.

Ann Arbor — For the fifth straight time this season, No. 8 Michigan got the better of the MSU hockey team – beating the Spartans 5-3 at Yost Ice Arena on Saturday.

The Wolverines tallied 51 shots on MSU freshman goaltender Drew Palmisano while the Spartans were only able to record 21.

U-M’s Matt Rust, Travis Turnbull and Brandon Burlon each put up goals in the first period to give the Wolverines a commanding 3-0 lead going into the first intermission.

But MSU senior forward Matt Schepke brought the game back within two goals at 2:12 into the second period when he fired a wrist shot that beat U-M goaltender Bryan Hogan glove side.

Only 15 seconds later, sophomore forward Andrew Rowe flew through the slot with the puck and beat Hogan low.

WEBKDR_HKY_UM3_012409
By Katie Rausch / The State News
Freshman forward Andrew Conboy is restrained by a referee after the Michigan defenseman Steve Kampfer, right, was injured during the third period of Saturday's game in Ann Arbor. Sophomore forward Corey Tropp was thrown out of the game, receiving a 5-minute slashing major and two game disqualifications. MSU lost 5-3. Kampfer was later taken out on a stretcher.
WEBKDR_HKY_UM5_012409
By Katie Rausch / The State News
Junior defenseman Justin Johnston, left, fights for control of the puck with an opponent from Michigan on Saturday evening during the first period of the game in Ann Arbor. MSU lost 5-3.

The second period ended with the Spartans only trailing 3-2.

U-M’s Carl Hagelin extended the Wolverines lead 12 seconds into the third period, but MSU freshman forward Adam Henderson scored his first collegiate goal and brought it back to a one goal game when he fired a wrist shot from the high slot that dinged off the post and went into the top shelf of the net.

The Wolverines netted their fifth, and final goal, when U-M’s Aaron Palushaj tripped up Palmisano in the crease and before the MSU netminder could get back into proper position, the puck was already in the back of the net.

The Spartans (7-16-3 overall, 4-12-2-2 CCHA) were unable to bring the game back within striking distance in the final minutes of the game because of a scrum that resulted after MSU freshman forward Andrew Conboy and sophomore forward Corey Tropp both went after U-M’s Steve Kampfer.

Kampfer was helped off the ice by teammates before being taken to the hospital at the end of the game.

Tropp received a double game disqualification for his actions and Conboy received two minor roughing penalties.

MSU head coach Rick Comley expects that both Tropp and Conboy will not travel with the team when they head to Lake Superior for a two game road series next weekend.