4 Spartans honored by Big Ten for efforts last week

Senior forward Doug DeMartin attempts to score against Western Michigan on Sept. 21. DeMartin scored a goal during the game, which MSU won 6-0.

Photo by Gabrielle Moore | The State News

After being named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week for three straight weeks, senior running back Javon Ringer wasn’t able to earn a fourth one this week. Ringer racked up 198 yards on 44 carries and recorded a touchdown in the Spartans’ 42-29 victory over Indiana on Saturday, but didn’t do enough to win over Northwestern quarterback C.J. Bacher.

But although Ringer didn’t win again, four other Spartans were named Big Ten Offensive Players of the Week for their winning efforts:

Men’s soccer

Senior forward Doug DeMartin recorded nine points in two victories for the men’s soccer team last week. In Wednesday’s 6-0 win over Western Michigan, DeMartin had a goal and an assist. On Sunday, DeMartin scored three consecutive goals to help the Spartans (4-4 overall, 1-1 Big Ten) earn their first conference win over Penn State, 4-3.

Women’s soccer

Freshman forward Laura Heyboer picked up seven points for the women’s soccer team this weekend as they won their first two conference games.

Heyboer had a goal and an assist in the 2-0 win over undefeated Minnesota on Friday. Then Sunday, Heyboer led the Spartans (10-1, 2-0) with two goals in a 4-0 win over Iowa. Heyboer now leads the Big Ten in goals (12) and points (31).

Field hockey

For the fourth time in her career, junior field hockey midfielder Jeamie Deacon was named the Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week.

In Friday’s 3-1 win over No. 16 Ohio State, Deacon led the Spartans (9-1, 1-0) with a goal and an assist. Deacon also recorded a goal and two assists in the 3-2 overtime victory over No. 20 California on Saturday to increase her goal scoring streak to six games.

Volleyball

Junior middle blocker Vanessa King has been crucial in the MSU volleyball team’s 10-match winning streak and 10-3 overall record.

In this weekend’s wins against Ohio State and No. 21 Michigan at Breslin Center, King recorded 31 kills.

MSU won both matches 3-1.

Share and discuss “4 Spartans honored by Big Ten for efforts last week” on social media.