Monday, September 1, 2014

State News Olympics Blog

Big Ten rakes in medals at London Olympics

By Stephen Brooks          Posted: 08/14/12 12:43pm         

More than 100 current and former Big Ten coaches and players made the journey to London this summer to compete in the 2012 Olympics where they collectively claimed 35 medals for 32 separate countries.

The conference won 15 gold, nine silver and 11 bronze medals in 24 different sports.

Michigan’s 12 medals were the most of any conference member. The Wolverines also claimed eight gold medals, those most of any in the Big Ten — four of which came by way of U.S. swimming legend and former U-M volunteer assistant coach Michael Phelps. Phelps finished the games with 22 overall medals, the most of any Olympian in history. Former Wolverine Betsy Armstrong also won gold as a member of the U.S. women’s water polo team — the first ever gold medal for the Americans in the event.

Next was Penn State with five medals, none of which were gold. Minnesota and Nebraska each claimed four medals.

2011 Jesse Owens Male Big Ten Athlete of the Year David Boudia won gold in the 10-meter platform and a bronze in the synchronized 10-meter springboard to account for two of Purdue’s three Olympic medals in 2012.

Northwestern also brought home three medals from four-time NCAA Champion swimmer Matt Grevers, who set an Olympic record en route to winning the 100-meter backstroke event.

Illinois added two medals including a gold from former Illini basketball player Deron Williams who helped Team USA win back-to-back gold medals in men’s basketball. Indiana also captured two medals to round out the Big Ten medal count.