Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Rules of Engagement

Social media plays role in relationships

By Kellie Rowe          Posted: 05/16/12 8:54pm         

Have you ever scrolled your social media newsfeed and came upon a picture of a couple kissing, with the caption somewhere along the lines of, “I’m so in love with you pookie bear cuddlekins, happy one month!” or something just as revolting?

Yeah, I have too.

And you know what? We’re not the only ones.

Being the technology-driven generation that we are, it has now become necessary to address the affiliation between relationships and social media such as Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.

One of the most age-old aspects of a relationship in the social media world is being Facebook official — that is, being in a relationship on your profile.

For me, this has always caused a bit of anxiety that I can only assume is a result of my presumed fear of the point where you have to publicly become “no longer in a relationship.” This is where friends, family members and even distant acquaintances can take a look at your failed relationship and send you, “Sorry ;(“ comments all day long.

For others, it is a public sign of commitment to everyone who can type your name into the search bar. It’s a way to ward off exes or those who may have been interested.

In terms of posting on these social media sites, some people definitely go overboard. It’s great to show appreciation for your significant other, but I think it’s a unanimous vote that for the most part, no one wants to see it.

You can always tell I’m in a relationship because there will be someone I try my best to make fun of on their Facebook walls via witty statements, pictures or inside jokes about my “I told you so” moments with them. Yes, I’m stuck in the 4th grade.

Sometimes social media can become a form of peer pressure on the Internet. A female friend of mine began pinning specific pictures on her Pinterest. First came flowers, then chapels, then the big white dress of her dreams. Because the Pinterest was connected to her Facebook, her significant other, David, been noticing these signs. Soon enough, Facebook users are commenting on her posts saying, “David, the pressure’s on!”

Without technology, this would never have been an issue. Since when did peer pressure become virtual?

Overall, I’d have to say it’s best to keep relationships off the Internet. With the cons outweighing the pros, at least in my book, please do the World Wide Web a favor at keep your mushy-gushyness to yourself.