Friday, July 25, 2014

Rules of Engagement

Forget the boys, I'm looking for a man

By Kellie Rowe          Posted: 04/02/12 11:54pm         

Since I’m doing this blog solo, I have a little bit more leeway in topic choice. Now, we can talk about everything Josh hates. So, what should we talk about today? Makeup? Clothes? Shoes?
No, I’ve got it — let’s talk about men.

Lately, an issue I keep running into is determining the difference between boys and men.

When you’re in college, you meet a lot of people. When you meet a lot of people, chances are you’ll be going on quite a few dates.
One of the most important things to gauge when you’re on a date is whether you’re dealing with a boy or a man, and which one you’re more keen on being with in the long run.

Of course there are several internal factors that make up a good man, such as confidence, selflessness, courage and courtesy, but I’m talking about the social factors that will determine whether or not you’re embarrassed to take your guy out in public.

Some girls like the super boyishly playful type. These guys prefer watching “Finding Nemo” over “Schindler’s List”, enjoy the messiest coney dogs at What Up Dawg? and would much rather be playing broomball at Munn Ice Arena than studying for an exam the next day.

On the other hand, there are the more serious types that often remind us of our fathers. These men enjoy talking about the latest news in USA Today and often are found in the audience at classical concerts by the College of Music.

Now as a woman, it’s important to think about what you want. What fits your interests best? If you have someone playful, it’s important to make sure he can tone it down around your parents. If you want someone serious, it’s important to be able to get him to liven up on the weekends.

For me, I enjoy the perfect mix. Any guy that can keep up with my news lingo, but won’t make fun of me for ordering chicken fingers wherever we go out to eat is a keeper in my book.
Either way, it’s an important decision you’ve got to make yourself.
What are you looking for?