Wednesday, November 26, 2014

The PoliTicker

Life busy post-election loss for Ryan, Romney

By Kellie Rowe          Posted: 01/22/13 9:23pm         

Ever wonder what happened to the dynamic GOP duo Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan after their loss on Election Day?

A number of news outlets reported shortly after Romney’s loss on Nov. 6, the Republican presidential nominee took his family to “the happiest place on earth.”

On Nov. 16, the former governor of Massachusetts was spotted with his wife, Ann, at showing of the final chapter of the Twilight Saga, Breaking Dawn: Part 2, in California, according to TMZ.

A few days later, Romney was spotted with his wife, sons and grandchildren at Disneyland on Nov. 19.

As for the Republican vice presidential nominee, Ryan told Fox6 he was spending time decompressing with his family a week after the election. He only turned on the TV to watch football and a movie with his kids.

The Wisconsin representative wasn’t out for long. He and other House Republicans began work on a solution to the next fiscal deadlines in the coming months.

On Monday, Ryan was in the audience at President Barack Obama’s inauguration, claiming he was obligated to go.

He tweeted: “I congratulate President Obama on his inauguration, and I join the country in celebrating this American tradition.”

During his inaugural address Monday, Obama took a direct shot at Ryan’s political theory he emphasized during his campaign for the vice presidency that the U.S. is divided between “makers” and “takers,” and that social insurance programs reduce ambition.

“The commitments we make to each other – through Medicare, and Medicaid, and Social Security – these things do not sap our initiative; they strengthen us,” Obama said during his address. “They do not make us a nation of takers; they free us to take the risks that make this country great.”

The next day, Ryan made headlines, retorting that Obama misconstrued the Republican’s position on entitlements.

He told reporters it was “bittersweet” to attend the inauguration he had hoped to take part in himself.

However, news outlets reported Romney was nowhere to be found on inauguration day.

NBC reported a Romney aid told them it was “doubtful” he’d watch the ceremony and the Romney family had “no big plans” on Monday.