Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The PoliTicker

State News reporters reach Tampa, gather bearings with tropical storm nearby

By Kellie Rowe          Posted: 08/27/12 9:38am         

Editor’s Note: The State News has four writers and photographers on the ground at the Republican National Convention in Tampa. Follow them for continuous coverage of the week’s activities.

After more than 18 hours of driving in sunshine and clear skies, the effects of Tropical Storm Isaac have caught up with these State News travelers as we head toward the heart of the storm in Florida for the Republican National Convention, or RNC.

The crew of journalists, including Ian Kullgren, Julia Nagy, Justin Wan and myself, have remained vigilant and updated on the latest news regarding the upcoming convention and the impending potential dangers the storm might bring, as we switch our entertainment of choice between CNN and Portugal. The Man on Ian’s iPhone.

After RNC officials cancelled today’s events, presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney tweeted his support for coordinators’ concern for the safety of convention attendees.

“I applaud those in Tampa making appropriate schedule changes,” Romney wrote.

Earlier Sunday, CNN reported Republication National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus said despite Monday’s cancellation, coordinators plan to carry out the remainder of the convention as scheduled for the estimated 50,000 attendees, and most of Monday’s events will be added to the list of Tuesday and Wednesday’s scheduled events.

We’ve checked into our hotel, adjusted our bearings, bought rain boots and now prepare for the eventful days ahead.

Bring it on, Isaac.