Tuesday, September 16, 2014 | Last updated: 9:00pm

The PoliTicker

Republican National Convention officials schedule week's events following tropical storm threat

By Kellie Rowe          Posted: 08/27/12 1:57pm         

Russ Schriefer, the presumed Republican nominee Mitt Romney’s strategist, last night addressed the media via conference call to discuss schedule changes for the upcoming days after the cancellation of Monday’s events at the Republican National Convention.

“What we’ve done is take most of Monday’s speakers and we were able to put them into a Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday schedule,” Schriefer said.

Most events are rescheduled for the next three days, but RNC officials still had to eliminate certain events and speakers from the lineup, he said, adding the headlining speakers and events between 10 and 11 p.m. were not changed.

Each day of the convention holds its own theme. Schriefer said Monday’s message or theme, “We can do better,” can be combined into the themes of Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

“We believe that the Monday theme of President Obama failed leadership (and) not serving the American people is something we can talk about it each one of these areas,” he said.

At about 2 p.m. today, Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus will activate a “debt clock,” which RNC officials will use to symbolize the U.S. national debt. By the end of the convention on Thursday evening, RNC officials expect the clock to tick its way to $16 trillion.

According to USA Today, GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney and running mate Paul Ryan plan to use the federal debt numbers as an integral part of their critique of President Obama.

After CNN reported the possibility of an extra day added to the convention schedule last night, Schriefer said RNC officials still are planning to stick to the Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday schedule.

“Our concern has to be with the people who are in the path of the storm,” he said. “All of this is taken into consideration. As soon as we have more information that (the storm will) affect our programs … We’ll let you know.”