Wednesday, August 20, 2014

MSU Sports Blog

Volleyball clinches tournament title, remains undefeated on the season

By Caleb Nordgren          Posted: 09/16/12 12:15am         

Four tournaments. Four trophies.

Such is life for the MSU volleyball team, as they won the Holiday Inn Charleston/Mt. Pleasant Invitational on Saturday for their fourth early-season invitational title. After defeating Presbyterian on Friday, the Spartans came back Saturday to defeat Georgetown in straight sets, followed by host College of Charleston, 3-1.

MSU improves to 12-0 with the tournament win — the program’s best start since the 2009 season.

Junior outside hitter Lauren Wicinski was named MVP of the tournament — her third such honor of the year — and was named to the All-Tournament team along with sophomore libero Kori Moster and junior middle blocker Alexis Mathews.

Against Georgetown, Wicinski led MSU with 11 kills, while fellow outside hitters sophomore Taylor Galloway and senior Amy Dentlinger chipped in 10 kills apiece. Junior setter Kristen Kelsay had 25 assists and Moster contributed 13 digs in the morning match.

In the evening match, Wicinski led the Spartans in kills once again, posting a total of 23 kills. Dentlinger added 11 kills and Mathews had 10 kills and seven blocks. Kelsay and Moster also led the team in assists and digs, respectively, with Kelsay getting 26 assists and Moster getting 18 digs.

MSU will return home this week to prepare for their Friday, Sept. 21 match against Purdue at Jenison Field House. The match will be the Spartans’ first of the Big Ten season.