Saturday, July 26, 2014

MSU hockey seniors share additional thoughts on careers

By Alyssa Girardi          Posted: 02/28/13 8:26pm         

Although only four seniors currently are active on this season’s MSU hockey roster, those players came in with a class of nine. Here is some information on the other five players:

Torey Krug (defenseman): A two-time captain, Krug made statements throughout his time at MSU, earning All-American accolades and earning becoming a Hobey Baker Memorial Award candidate. Krug forwent his senior season for a professional contract with the Boston Bruins, and currently is playing with the Providence Bruins.

Derek Grant (forward): After appearing on MSU’s top line as a freshman and leading MSU in scoring his second year, Grant signed with the Ottawa Senators on March 10, 2011. He played with Ottawa’s AHL team for the rest of that season and claimed the Calder Cup.

Dean Chelios (forward): Chelios will red-shirt the current season and look to return to the lineup next year.

Zach Golembiewski (forward): After playing his first two seasons with MSU, a medical condition was discovered in his back and forced him into retirement. He will be honored in Saturday’s senior day ceremony with the four current seniors.

Zach Josepher (defenseman): Spent most of his first year paired with now-senior Matt Grassi. He had six assists in 20 games his sophomore year. He transferred to Oswego State University of New York for his junior and senior seasons.

“Additional thoughts from MSU hockey seniors”

When asked about their favorite memories of the year, Grassi and seniors Anthony Hayes and Kevin Walrod all had similar answers: winning the Great Lakes Invitational freshman year and sweeping Michigan, but senior Chris Forfar had quite a different response.

“Watching (Branden) Carney be able to skate in the Penn State was really cool,” Forfar said. “I know how much he sacrificed to get to Michigan State and it was an unfortunate accident that happened, but to see him smile, seeing how big his smile was when he skated out to the blue line was something I don’t think any of us will ever forget.”

The four players, like most seniors, are going through very real emotions as the ends of their college hockey careers and college years are in sight.

Here are some of their thoughts on the weeks ahead:

“Going into this weekend, knowing it’s going to be my last two games at Munn, they’re going to be a little emotional, I’m sure,” Grassi said. “I’m going to make sure I leave it all on the ice, but I can’t believe it. Over the summer last year I was thinking, obviously, ‘Oh no, I’m going into my senior year, (but) I still gotta full year left, it won’t go by that quickly.’ But I was wrong. It has gone by that quickly.”

“We just want to leave as good role models, both on and off the ice,” Hayes said. “All four of us do extremely well in class. We all work as hard as anybody else when we come to the rink. We just want to leave the legacy of being high-character people. We give our all regardless of what we’re doing whether it’s in class, whether it’s on the ice, so we want to be able to leave that. There’s many times where we haven’t been afraid to put the team’s needs in front of our personal aspirations and that’s something that you have to do to have a successful team.”