Thursday, October 30, 2014 | Last updated: 1:14pm

From The Archives

Past story reveals ongoing efforts to combat underage drinking

By Isabella Shaya          Posted: 01/17/13 9:12pm         

For at least 15 years, MSU students have been bombarded with efforts to combat underage drinking because of various restrictions on kegs.

But, underage drinking still exists on and off campus, despite the rules.

On July 10, 1997, The State News reported on a new program requiring keg buyers to sign a document promising to not serve alcohol to minors.

Store owners in East Lansing and Okemos had the option of participating in the program, according to the article. If the buyer signed the document, police could then track the keg owner using the serial number and make the buyer responsible for any problems related to the alcohol.

According to the article, serving to minors could result in up to 60 days in jail and a $1,000 fine, and a minor’s death due to the alcohol would mean a $5,000 fine and 10 years in prison.

An editorial published in the same issue predicted the program would have no affect on the number of underage drinkers, but it might require some keg buyers to drive out of their way to buy from a store not participating in the program.

“The East Lansing police don’t seem to get it. Students at MSU have drank, are drinking and will drink,” the article said.

Again in 2011, keg buyers were restricted further because of a new law requiring the purchaser to label their name, phone number, address and state I.D. number on the keg, according to a past State News article.

This law was passed with the same purpose — to stop minors from consuming alcohol.

The State News reported keg sales were down about 70 percent a year after the law’s passage, but there also was an increase in other alcohol sales, such as liquor.

Despite the authorities’ attempts to stop minors from drinking, college parties continue to be dominated by alcohol. MSU students are and will continue drinking, the additional rules only lengthen the efforts and time underage drinkers put into getting drunk.