Sunday, December 21, 2014

Entertainment Blog

Deschanel mistakenly implicated in marathon bombings

By Katie Abdilla          Posted: 04/22/13 8:54pm         

Well, according to a Texas TV station, one of the entertainment world’s newest, yet most beloved sweethearts, is a raging criminal.

With the rush to report any information — and I mean ANY information — on the Boston Marathon bombings early last week, many news organizations ditched accuracy in favor of breaking the story first. CNN fell for it. ABC News did as well.

But perhaps the most laughable instance of a failure to fact-check came from Fox 4 Dallas-Forth Worth, a local station in Texas. The network’s closed captioning system, while discussing the two brothers pegged as responsible for the bombings, announced “New Girl” actress Zooey Deschanel’s name, mistaking it as 19-year-old Dzhokhar A. Tsarvaev.

Known for her wit, vintage clothing and ’60s reminiscent bangs, Deschanel has become a household name from movies such as “Elf” and “500 Days of Summer.” That being so, the mix-up soon made national news, and the actress herself even tweeted a snapshot of the incident for her followers.

My first question is, how was that mixup even possible? The two names aren’t even remotely alike, and just about everyone and their mother knows (or should know) who Deschanel is.

Okay, so maybe not everyone knows who she is. But if you aren’t sure about a name, why on Earth would you not check both names to distinguish between the two people?

It takes two seconds to check a name. But it’s going to take at least a few weeks for said station to get over their mortification and gain reliability from viewers, especially in the wake of such an emotional event.